1. A success from the beginning, starting with National Folk Festivals as the model in the first three years. The content was high quality, the audiences were large, and the event production was first-rate. It’s always been a work-in-progress with improvements being made as seen and needed. Changes will continue based on feedback and observations.
2. The Lowell partnership ethic.
3. Wayne Toups and Zydecajun.
4. George Price and the flashy umbrella at the head of parades.
5. A long line at the Filipino food booth.
6. Rain, occasionally.
7. The South Common concerts in the early years.
8. The growth of the “fringe festival” in downtown and uptown with local bands on alternative stages.
9. Making Merrimack Street downtown a pedestrian way.
10. People who bring their dogs to the extravaganza. And the guy with the big parrot on his shoulder.