With Lowell Public School teachers returning to work tomorrow and the students joining them on Wednesday, the rhythm of the city will change this week when we’re once again reminded how much the life of our community is centered on schools and education. With that in mind, here are the schools that will be used this year with a bit of history about each of them:
Bailey Elementary School – 175 Campbell Drive (Highlands) – Grades PreK to 4 – Building constructed in 1992. Named for Dr. Gertrude M. Bailey (1926-2021) a longtime teacher and principal in the Lowell public schools.
Bartlett Community Partnership School – 79 Wannalancit St (Acre) – Grades PreK to 8 – Building constructed in 1950. New addition in 1965. Renovated in 1993. Previous Bartlett School on same site burned down in 1940. Named for Dr. Elisha Bartlett (1804-1855) a medical doctor who served as the first mayor of the city of Lowell from 1836 to 1838.
Butler Middle School – 1140 Gorham St (South Lowell) – Grades 5 to 8 – Building constructed in 1992. Original Butler School at 840 Gorham St constructed in 1882 and closed in 1992. Named for Benjamin F. Butler (1818-1893), a Lowell resident who served as Governor of Massachusetts from 1893 to 1894, and as a Major General in the American Civil War.
Cardinal O’Connell Early Learning Center – 21 Carter St (South Lowell) – Grade PreK – Building constructed in 1893. Renovated in 1971. Named for William H. O’Connell (1859-1944), a Lowell native who served as a Roman Catholic Cardinal and Archbishop of Boston from 1907 until his death in 1944.
Career Academy – 125 Smith St (Highlands) – Grades 9 to 12. Constructed in 1937. Closed in 2002 and reopened as Career Academy in 2003. Originally known as the Molloy School. Named for Hugh J. Molloy (1863-1933) who served as superintendent of schools for 21 years before his death in 1933.
Daley Middle School – 150 Fleming St (Highlands) – Grades 5 to 8 – Building constructed in 1956, renovated in 1994. Named for James S. Daley (1908-1955), a Lowell native who was a star track athlete in college and who was a longtime teacher and track coach at St. John’s Prep in Danvers. .
Greenhalge Elementary School – 149 Ennell St (Centralville) – Grades PreK to 4 – Building constructed in 1994. Original school on same site constructed in 1905, addition in 1910, renovated in 1971, demolished and rebuilt in 1994. Named for Frederic Greenhalge (1842-1896), a Lowell resident who served as Governor of Massachusetts from 1894 until his death in 1896.
Laura Lee Therapeutic Day School – 235 Powell St (Highlands) – Grades K to 6 – Building constructed in 1890. Named (I believe) for Laura E. Lee (1853-1906), a longtime teacher in the Lowell public schools.
LeBlanc Therapeutic Day School – 58 Sycamore St (Belvidere) – Grades 8 to 12 – Building constructed in 1935 (then called the Oakland School). Closed in 2002 and reopened as therapeutic program in 2003. Originally called the Oakland School but renamed in 1977 for Gerald A. Leblanc who served as the school’s principal from 1953 until his retirement in 1977.
Lincoln Elementary School – 300 Chelmsford St (Highland) – Grades PreK to 4 – Building constructed in 1993. Original Lincoln School on the same site constructed in 1894 and demolished in 1993. Named for Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865), the 16th President of the United States.
Lowell High School – 50 Fr. Morissette Blvd (Downtown) – Grades 9 to 12 – Buildings constructed in 1890, 1920, 1980, 2022.
McAuliffe Elementary School – 570 Beacon St (Centralville) – Grades PreK to 4 – Building constructed in 1993. Named for Christa McAuliffe (1948-1986), a New Hampshire school teacher who died in the explosion of the space shuttle Challenger.
McAvinnue Elementary School – 131 Mammoth Rd (Pawtucketville) – Grades PreK to 4 – Building constructed in 1993. Named for Josepha A. McAvinnue (1897-1982), a longtime teacher and principal at the Pawtucket Junior High School.
Moody Elementary School – 158 Rogers St (Belvidere) – Grades K to 4 – Building constructed in 1882, updated in 1958 and 1968. Named (I believe) for Paul Moody (1779-1831), one of the founders of Lowell and the person who designed and built the looms used in the early Lowell textile mills.
Morey Elementary School – 130 Pine St (Highlands) – Grades PreK to 4 – Building constructed in 2009. Original Morey School on adjacent lot constructed in 1882, renovated in 1958 and in 1968, and demolished in 2009. Originally called the Highlands Grammar School but renamed in 1916 for Charles W. Morey (1859-1916) who served as principal of the school from 1882 until his death in 1916.
Murkland Elementary School – 350 Adams St (Acre) – Grades PreK to 4 – Building constructed in 1993. Named for Charlotte M. Murkland (1873-1961), a longtime teacher at and principal of the original Bartlett School.
Pawtucketville Memorial Elementary School – 425 West Meadow Rd (Pawtucketville) – Grades PreK to 4 – Building constructed in 1965, renovated in 2003. Named the Pawtucket Memorial School when it opened to distinguish it from the Pawtucket School on Mammoth Road.
Pyne Arts School – 145 Boylston St (Belvidere) – Grades PreK to 8 – Building constructed in 1965, expanded/renovated in 2002. Became Pyne Arts School in 2003. Formerly the J.G. Pyne School. Named for Joseph G. Pyne (1888-1961), a longtime teacher and master at Lowell High School.
Reilly Elementary School – 115 Douglas Rd (Belvidere) – Grades K to 4 – Building constructed in 1959. New addition in 1965. Renovated in 1997. Named for Peter W. Reilly (1850-1927) who at the time of his death was the vice president of Lowell’s Courier Citizen newspaper.
Robinson Elementary School – 110 June St (Centralville) – Grades 5 to 8 – Building constructed in 1969. Renovated in 1993. Named for Henry J. Robinson (1933-1965), a member of the Lowell School Committee who died in office at age 32 while the school was being constructed. His school committee colleagues named the school for him.
Shaughnessy Elementary School – 1158 Gorham St (South Lowell) – Grades PreK to 4 – Building constructed in 1991 on site of earlier Shaughnessy School which opened in 1957. Named for Lt. John J. Shaughnessy (1917-1944) who was killed in action on D-Day while serving in the United States Army.
STEM Academy at Rogers School – 43 Highland St (South Lowell) – Grades K to 8 – Building constructed in 1963. Renovated in 1994. Originally the Rogers School. Named for Edith Nourse Rogers (1881-1960), a Lowell resident who represented the region in Congress from 1925 until her death in 1960.
Stoklosa Middle School – 560 Broadway (Acre) – Grades 5 to 8 – Building constructed in 2005. Named for Kathryn M. Stoklosa (1927-1999) who served for many years on the Lowell School Committee.
Sullivan Middle School – 150 Draper St (Belvidere) – Grades 5 to 8 – Building constructed in 1992. Named for James F. Sullivan (1928-2006), longtime Lowell educator and principal of the Moody School.
Wang Middle School – 365 West Meadow Rd (Pawtucketville) – Grades 5 to 8 – Building constructed in 1992. Named for Dr. An Wang (1920-1990), the founder of the Lowell-based computer company Wang Laboratories.
Washington Elementary School – 795 Wilder St (Highlands) – Grades PreK to 4 – Building constructed in 1905. Named for George Washington (1732-1799), the 1st President of the United States.