Lowell in World War One: February 18, 1918 to February 23, 1918

This is the 45th weekly installment of my Lowell in World War One series which commemorates the centennial of the entry of the United States into World War One. Here are the headlines from one hundred years ago this week:

February 18, 1918 – Monday – Many killed in fighting in Russia. Kiev falls. Strike of carpenters in Atlantic seaboard ship years engaged on government work ends. Commissioner Brown says City Hall triumvirate is smashed. Declares that split came over selection of license commissioner. Brown and Warnock indulge in personalities. Hot meeting of the city council today.

February 19, 1918 – Tuesday – Report Bolshevik government in Petrograd Overthrown. Lenine and Trotzky flee. Russia forced to sign German peace. Kaiser’s supreme and final effort near. Enforcement of law is up to the police. When certain portions of the press and pulpit first raised the hue and cry that Lowell was reeking with booze and vice and that soldiers from Camp Devens ought to be made to keep away from here, many resented the attack on Lowell. This unjust criticism and discrimination has broken out afresh with authorities at Camp Devens pointing to Lowell as the one indecent and unclean spot in the region. Lowell phone girls going to France. Four telephone operators from Lowell who are fluent in English and French have been selected by the US government to go to France to run military exchanges.  Another smallpox case reported here. A second case of smallpox was reported to the board of health this morning. The board issued an order for the vaccination of all employees of all the local plants of the United States Cartridge Company and of the Lawrence Manufacturing Co, where the two infected individuals worked.

February 20, 1918 – Wednesday – Germany ignores Bolshevik offer and armies continue to advance in Russia. Germany wants written confirmation of Russian peace offer. Industrial unrest in Germany. Austria opposes new war against Russia. Secretary Baker says allies ready for drive. Would reorganize the liquor squad. State Inspector Angus McDonald and Chief Redmond Welch of the police department appeared before the municipal council this morning, the former to discuss his order to remove the fire hazards from several local schools, the latter to explain various items in the police budget. The liquor squad was touched upon quite gingerly by Commissioner Warnock, who suggested that the squad be reorganized.

February 21, 1918 – Thursday – Germans continue to advance in Russia. British advance mile and a half in Palestine. 11 indicted in Army uniform cloth frauds. Cloth and other army supplies worth $5,000,000 were stolen, according to the New York City police. Liquor squad officers tender resignation. Officers George Palmer and Timothy Dwyer of the police department liquor squad have resigned as members of the squad.  Washington’s birthday observed in schools today by special exercises held in memory of the first president. Today was also the final day of school until March 4 since the annual midwinter vacation will be held next week. George Washington will have his memory fittingly honored by Lowell citizens tomorrow. The majority of the local manufacturing plants will be closed and the majority of downtown stores will also close. Found guilty of illegal sale of liquor. Mark Hassan was arraigned before Judge John Pickman in police court this morning on complaints charging him with keeping and illegal sale of liquor. The evidence was that last Saturday night, two soldiers went to Hassan’s house at 58 Elm Street and bought two bottles of beer. Hassan was found guilty and was sentenced to two months in the house of correction.

February 22, 1918 – Friday – Washington’s Birthday – no newspaper

February 23, 1918 – Saturday – Guerilla warfare by Russians in attempt to impede German advance. Austrian and Ukrainian troops moving on Kiev. Bombardment continues on American sector. British down 100 German airplanes in six days. 40 cars of coal arrived here this morning. Killed by train at Bleachery Station. John Regan of 10 Auburn street and employed at US Cartridge Co, was killed this morning at the Bleachery station when he was run over by a passenger train leaving Lowell for Boston. In attempting to board the train, Regan slipped and his body went beneath the wheels of the car as the train just began moving.