The state primary election is just three weeks away, on Thursday, September 8, 2016.
This Friday, August 19, is the deadline for registering to vote to be able to participate in the primary.
The website of the Lowell election office has links to the primary ballots that will be used.
The ballot I will take, a Democratic one for the 18th Middlesex District, has two contested offices on it. First is Middlesex County Sheriff, with two candidates: Incumbent Peter Koutoujian of Waltham, and challenger Barry Kelleher of Wilmington. The second contested race is for the 18th Middlesex State Representative District. There are three candidates in that race: Incumbent Rady Mom, and challengers Dave Ouellette and Cheth Khim. Also on the ballot, but uncontested in the primary, are Niki Tsongas for Representative in Congress; Eileen Donoghue for State Senate; and Eileen Duff for Governor’s Councillor.
There are also some new polling locations since the last election. Here are the changes:
- Ward 1, Precinct 1: from Father Norton Manor to the Immaculate Conception Church.
- Ward 2, Precinct 1: from the Pollard Memorial Library to the Lowell High School Murphy Cafeteria.
- Ward 2 Precincts 2 and 3: from Lowell Telecommunications on Market Street to the Lowell High School Murphy Cafeteria.
- Ward 4, Precinct 2: from the Flanagan Development on Chelmsford Street to the Morey School.
- Ward 8, Precinct 1: from the City of Lowell Health Department to the Daley School.
- Ward 10, Precinct 2: from the Faulkner Street Apartments Community Room to the Rogers School Gymnasium
- Ward 11, Precinct 1: from the Shaughnessy School to the Butler Middle School Gymnasium.
So mark Thursday, September 8, 2016 on your calendar. The polls will be open from 7 am until 8 pm.